2012-02-29

Get Over It!

I am a serious "Get over it" kind of person, move on....live and learn....push forward...the past is the past....so it is hard for me to understand people who hang on to the past and allow it to dictate their life. Ya, I know our childhood life events shape us and mold us into who we are, and some people had it rougher than others and i'm sure rougher than me...so maybe I am being a bit harsh, but i am sharing from one perspective, mine:) OK< my childhood was interesting to say the least. I am thankful I wasn't physically or sexually abused,I know that brings on a lot of emotional damage that I cant relate to...well, maybe I can somewhat, my children were abused and i deal with their pain. But I am teaching them to not let it define them.  I had parents that always told me they loved me, they didn't get a divorce, although i wish they had at times.... there was no infidelity that i know of, but my childhood was far from easy!!! There were tough times to say the least! My dad was abusive to my mom, we were homeless at times, he was a gambler, he was gone a lot, my mom wasn't too fond of me for most of my life, she threw Christianity down our throats and made us terrified of God's wrath, (I call it the "Left Behind Movement") We didn't have much food, sometimes rotten food at best, I went to 17 schools from K-8th grade, we didn't have toilet paper, we washed our clothes in the bathtub, we always smelled like cigarettes....i can go on and on! But I have never let those things defeat me! I have taken from them and learned a lot about people and life. I have never been angry about how my life as a child was, I only gleaned form it. I knew at an early age what kind of mom i wanted to be, what kind of wife I would be and what kind of husband i wanted, & what kind of life i didn't want for myself and my kids. Even though the bas times outweighed the good, I took the good and share that with my family. My parents taught me how to cook and I teach my kids, we were always open to talk about whatever was on our minds, we were told daily, "I love you" , we knew Jesus loved us, there's more....and i took the best parts, even if few, and made them into the best parts of who I am today. I am not perfect, like my parents...and my children will have plenty of things they will toss out in the gleaning process...but I don't hang on to the tough times...i let them go...I haven't forgotten, but I don't let them dictate who I am. I know some of my actions stem from my childhood, like over-eating....but it doesn't define my character. So my hope for the hurting is to let it go! Jesus will carry it all for you, if you can just bag it up, hand it to Him and say, "Jesus, this is too much for me to carry, i don't want it, please will you take it from me?" He will! I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment