2011-12-05

My Christmas Letter

Me at Christmas: I love Christmas, I really do! I'm not one of those people who is hyper sensitive about the whole "Happy Holiday's" and I'm not a die hard Black Friday shopping, tree up, lights hung, every ones getting 25 gifts, psycho Christmas person. I'm not someone who says the family is going to do home-made gifts this year and donate all of our toys to the needy....although that's not too far off, haha....I don't write a Christmas letter, but I love having my friend read me her mother-in-laws (best letters ever) and I look forward to my Aunt Margaret's letter each year. I rarely give out Christmas cards, the last one was an Andy Warhol style pic of the whole family making thug faces saying, "Merry Freaking Christmas" and I am not kidding...I gave out 13. I surely am not someone who loves to receive gifts, just the thought of a gift is wonderful to me, i would prefer people give me a card and write in what they would have got me if i liked gifts. This is me at Christmas: Instead of buying my family gifts, I buy a gaggle of geese or a goat or fishing equipment for a family in a 3rd world country in their name. What do people who can afford a good life possibly need form me? I can give a 5$ gift to everyone, or i can make a difference in someones life! ( www.heifer.org )
We love to dress up like Santa and go to friends houses. It's the highlight of our Holiday! Larry and I are the Clause's and the kids are elves, it's so much fun! I've been trying to get Cameron to be Rudolph, but so far he's only been Ebenezer Scrooge!
The past few years we've stayed home for Christmas, ditching our families and relaxing. It's nice to have a quiet at home Christmas for the first time in 18 yrs. We don't like to rush opening gifts, (and we don't do many gifts, only 1 maybe 2) I make a pot of clam chowder on Christmas Eve, a little shrimp cocktail and a glass of wine. Ahhhh, sounds good right now:) The kids entertain us with playing their horns and singing carols, Cameron plays his guitar and sings a few contemporary hits, Larry and I hum along... Christmas morning we have brunch, the kids have their stockings and we have another day of relaxing together as a family, all the while remembering the true meaning we've imposed on Christmas, JESUS! This year we'll be going to my sister Carrie's house in Tri-Cities, she likes it calm and quiet like me:) But we wont leave before Santa makes his rounds! Merry Christmas and I hope you all have Christmas your way.

1 comment:

  1. It seems like every third year I am able to actually write up a yearly letter. I'm not really a witty sort and wish I could simply find another person to tell my year to and they would write up a funny story about it! Oh well, guess its better to tell the truth about how life is full of ups and downs then to sugar coat the messy stuff. Just glad to know I'm not the only one in the universe who doesn't always send out cards :)

    ReplyDelete